You have surely noticed when having a conversation with someone; sometimes there’s a person who constantly interrupts the conversation and just starts talking about themselves or their point of view.
Sometimes those interrupters are just interrupting conversation unintentionally, and some interrupt conversation intentionally. But whether done intentionally or unintentionally, it gets really annoying to get interrupted.
So, what do you call someone who interrupts a conversation? What could be the reasons that a person interrupts the conversation? If someone interrupts constantly, is it a sign of disrespect? How to deal with constant interrupters?
Let’s find out the answer to all these questions!
What do you call someone who interrupts a conversation?
The answer can be many because some people are attention seekers, some are immature, some are arrogant and don’t want to listen to others, some just don’t like the person speaking. So it depends on people and why they are interrupting the conversation.
The people interrupt the conversation because –
- They are attention seekers, and they just can’t stay away from being the center of attention. That’s why they constantly interrupt.
- They are immature and don’t know how to act in a conversation.
- They are arrogant, are don’t want to listen to anyone, and just want to dominate the conversation.
- Sometimes, they don’t like the person/persons in the conversation. They just want to cut the conversation so that the other person feels low.
- They are angry. You’ve seen that in school/college/office, the teacher or boss interrupts the conversation and doesn’t want to listen because they are angry.
- They are talkative. It is possible that the person who interrupts the conversation is highly talkative and just wants to put their point.
Also Read –
What could be the reasons that a person interrupts the conversation?
A person/persons interrupt the conversation due to several reasons. It may be possible that they have done it unintentionally, but still, it interrupted the ongoing conversation. It may be possible that they want to correct someone in the conversation. Like, there are several reasons. Let’s have a look at possible reasons –
- The person interrupts the conversation because they don’t respect people in conversation.
- The person interrupts the conversation because they are self-centered.
- Sometimes, the person interrupts the conversation because they are impatient and don’t wait for their turn to speak.
- The person interrupts the conversation because they want to show their power and authority in the conversation.
- Sometimes the person interrupts the conversation unintentionally.
Also Read –
If someone interrupts constantly, is it a sign of disrespect?
Yes or No Both. Mostly, the person who interrupts the conversation either wants to get heard or wants to get attention or does it unintentionally. So their no point of disrespect towards the people in conversation.
But sometimes, the person wants to interrupt the conversation to make others feel lower. They did it because either they are egoistic or they don’t like you. They just want to disrespect the other person. This shows that this is a sign of disrespect towards the person in the conversation.
How to deal with constant interrupters?
If you’re dealing with a constant interrupter, how to cope with that person? There can be several solutions which are as follows-
- Ask the interrupter to let you finish the conversation you started. Either ask them politely or with some anger. This will surely stop the interrupter.
- Keep your conversation and talking continue. Yes, you have to fight for this, but it will surely shut the mouth of the interrupter. You should raise your voice so that the interrupter knows you’re talking.
- Ask others to speak in the conversation, ignoring the interrupter. It will make the interrupter feel you’re not listening to them.
- You can also try talking to the group and making eye contact with all group members. The interrupter will see the group acknowledging your thoughts, and he will stop interrupting.
- You can also speak to the person privately and ask them politely, not to interrupt the conversation.
Also Read –
So, this was all about the conversation interrupters. I think you’ve also got the idea of dealing with them!
Now tell us in the comments whether our article, ‘What do you call someone who interrupts a conversation?’ was helpful or not?
Thank you for reading!